Get to know us
The School of Civil Engineering of Madrid (SCEM) opens its doors to you. Located in Madrid, the vibrant capital of Spain where cultures meet and merge, the SCEM inherits the long-standing Spanish tradition in Civil Engineering and looks towards a sustainable future, with open mind and an international spirit.
Our school offers a unique campus, promoting the share of knowledge between students, teachers and researchers. The SCEM offers a number of Bachelor, Master and Doctoral School programmes, whose quality are acknowledged amongst the best of the world (fifth best Civil Engineering School according to the Shangai ranking LINK). All our programmes are in addition internationally accredited (as ABET and EUR-RACE, link).
We educate professionals, with culture, ethics, sensitivity and vision, in an effort to contribute to a brighter future for our society. We feel particularly proud of being a centre open to Spain and the world. We are a true hub linking Europe and Latin America and our students have access to exchange programmes in other Schools of Civil Engineering in Europe (through the Erasmus programme) and to specific double-diploma programmes with 14 schools in Belgium, Brazil, France, Germany, Peru, USA, United Kingdom and Sweden (link). Our level of research and laboratories allows us to provide a competitive reply to societal demands and ensures a fluent transfer of knowledge between the state-of-the-art and our profession.
We are proud to welcome you and we will be honoured to walk at your side during your education and professional life.
We have more than 100’000 m2 of facilities, including state-of-the-art laboratories, sport facilities and science museums:
|Laboratories (+link)||Sport faiclities (+link)||Museums (+link)|
|Electrical EngineeringStructuresHarboursHydraulicsetc.||2 Padel courts2 football courts1 basketball and volley-ball court||Torres QuevedoGeologyMathematics|
We are innovation
Our school is engaged towards innovation in teaching and to face current and future societal challenges:
- Tutoring programme: tutoring of new students by more experienced ones
- CraftCaminos: incubator of start-ups developed by students from UPM where you can develop an innovative idea. You will be followed by a tutor from UPM and have access to our facilities (including 3D printing capabilities and dedicated rooms)
- Entrepreneurial and Innovation Courses: A course given by Randstad, leader company in Human Resources. Development of skills completing technical knowledge, such as teamwork, leadership and time management
- Cooperation projects: Association of students and teachers to help developing countries through Bachelor or Master Theses based on planning and design of infrastructure.
- Plastic-free Engineering: Association of students and teachers engaged for a campus free of plastics, working in cooperation programmes with the National Park of Corcovado, Costa Rica.
Academic life can be completed with some of the activities offered by our 19 student associations covering a wide range of interests (student representatives, journal, sport, role-playing games, music, dance, theatre and many more!!!).
Every year, sessions are organized in the hall to show their activities and enrol in them!
Open doors day
In our School, we are conscious that the selection of your future studies and centre is a key decision in one’s life. The best way to show you our offer is to welcome you one day and let you experience our school, laboratories, academic programmes… and see some amazing shows!